Lynda – Cleaning Up Your Excel 2013 Data
Need to get data from a business-management system file, database software, text file, or poorly designed Excel worksheet into optimal shape for Excel 2013? This course can help. Dennis Taylor explores the functions, commands, and techniques in Excel that restructure data, remove unwanted characters, convert data into the desired format, and prepare data for efficient analysis. He’ll cover adjusting row and column placement; transposing data with Replace and Substitute functions, the Text to Columns command, and the new Flash Fill; and formatting and converting text, numbers, and other values.
* Moving or inserting rows and columns of data with a simple drag.
* Transposing row-column layouts into column-row layouts.
* Replacing data at the character level.
* Dealing with special characters and wildcards during search and replace.
* Converting dates with text functions.
* Converting text data to values/numbers.
* Checking and correcting spelling mistakes.
* Splitting data into multiple columns via the Text to Columns feature.
* Combining data from different columns via concatenation or Flash Fill.